Munich Classic is a Bavarian wheat beer strain that can easily express the spicy and estery aroma profile typical to German wheat beer styles. This strain is simple to use over a wide range of recipe variations and fermentation conditions, making it a great choice for a number of traditional styles of wheat beer. In classic open fermentation vessels, the yeast can be skimmed off the top in the traditional manner. Styles brewed with Munich Classic include but are not limited to Weizen/Weissbier, Dunkelweizen and Weizenbock.
Classified as a Saccharomyces cerevisiae, a top fermenting yeast.
Typical Analysis of Munich Classic Yeast:
- Percent solids 93% – 97%
- Living Yeast Cells ≥ 5 x 109 per gram of dry yeast
- Wild Yeast < 1 per 106 yeast cells
- Bacteria < 1 per 106 yeast cells
- Finished product is released to the market only after passing a rigorous series of tests
*According to the ASBC and EBC methods of analysis
In Lallemand’s Standard Conditions Wort at 20°C (68°F) Munich Classic yeast exhibits:
- Vigorous fermentation that can be completed in 4 days
- Medium to High attenuation and Low flocculation
- Aroma and flavor is balanced with prominent fruity esters and spicy phenol notes of banana and clove.
- The optimal temperature range for Munich Classic yeast when producing traditional styles is 17°C(63°F) to 22°C(72°F)
Fermentation rate, fermentation time and degree of attenuation are dependent on inoculation density, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and nutritional quality of the wort.
Flavor and aroma:
Download Munich Classic Technical Data Sheet
Buy on Amazon: USA / Canada / UK